Featured Post

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Jr. Ranger Book Series Planning Phase 1

March 16, 2016  (Phase One of Jr. Ranger Series Planning)


I decided to pause the two different series of books I have been writing, The Tiny Life of Lucas Fern, and The Saint Nicholas Letters, to create an exciting Jr. Ranger Series dedicated to National Parks.  

After searching for books for children, dedicated to the National Parks, I realized that there were only limited options.  Almost all of the books available were the same books from years ago when my children were babies. 

As a boy, I went to Yosemite National Park, for many years with my foster (ish) family, as a tradition. I loved it!  Later on as I was older and joined the Boy Scouts of America, I went on many different Adventure hikes, backpacking in the back country of Kings Canyon National Park, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Yosemite National Park, Mt. Whitney, and more.

I felt like a true mountaineer.  By the time I was nineteen, I had backpacked over three hundred miles of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Mostly the John Muir Trails.  

I read all of the books written by John Muir, and began reading about the adventures of many others.  

March 16, 2016 I came up with the title of "Lucy and Me in Yosemite - A Jr. Ranger Adventure"
I also planned out a book for The Smoky Mountains National Park, Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon, and Zions.

Here is the first drawing concept I was sent from a friend I met from Serbia.  I drew the red line correcting the shape I was looking for with the famous landmark we all know and love, Half Dome.

He had never been there, so it was difficult for him to grasp the vision from my Spanish explanation and just a picture I sent him, that I had taken in July of 2014.