Featured Post

Friday, August 12, 2016

It's Mt. Whitney all over again! The Adventures of a Jr Ranger

It is interesting, how we commit ourselves to a project that appears golden, even perfect! Then we arrive at basecamp and realize the battle has just begun.

Several years ago, I made a sixty plus mile backpacking trip, from Sequoia National Park to Mt. Whitney Portal.  

It was beautiful, and HARD.  

The actual trail would take eight days, if we did not cross Pants Pass (Somewhere near Mt. Kaweah), with over fifteen kids under eighteen years old, including myself.  I was sixteen. 

We had a terrible time, fighting drought conditions, and heat, but it was still a memory I will never forget.  Almost getting killed twice, by a fallen tree, and a huge rock slide on the north side of Pants Pass, as we needed rope to get down safely with the smaller kids. (A long exciting story)

Our group felt invincible after climbing Pants Pass successfully, until we hit the last few miles to the summit of Mt. Whitney.  

It took everything we had to get our names in the register on the summit, eat a late lunch, and make it down to camp before it was too dark. Some of the adults and kids, did not make it to the top.  

Today I feel like I just made it past Pants Pass again, with this first Adventure of a Jr Ranger book #1.  But self-publishing is a lot of hard work, like having to make it to the summit of Mt Whitney this next week. 

When I step back and look at the forty books I planned out, it feels endless. 

One thing you learn, backpacking up these steep, steep trails, is to keep one foot in front of the other, and try to enjoy the journey the best you can.  

I hope I have enough success with Paul Bunyan & Me in Yosemite, to find someone to help.  If I could afford an assistant, I would sail past my goal of twelve books a year.      

Right now I am Mr. Mom, working a full time job from home, while completing this book.  As much as I love to have the company of my Four children on Summer break, I found it is much easier when they are in school. 



As soon as I secure this families, peace of mind, financially.  I will be able to enjoy the summers with the kids, even more.