Featured Post

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Jr. Ranger Book Series Planning Phase 2


March 22, 2016 (Phase Two of Jr. Ranger Series Planning)

Things were looking a little better, and the story was beginning to take shape.  I was going to have this book follow the first book I finished earlier.  The Tiny Life of Lucas Fern "Born Tiny, Born Blue, Big Ears, and Big Feet too!!

Then everything changed.  I realized that nobody knew who Lucas and Lucy Fern were.  I had extended family read the book and friends, but they returned telling me that the story was interesting and great, but it may be hard to market.

That is where this idea of including them in this Jr. Ranger Series became more important than ever.

BUT!!! Still boring unless we bring a little BANG!! to the story.  

I sat my four children down to ask their opinions.  They love the stories of Lucas and Lucy Fern, because they all have been told these adventures ever since our first son was born in 1999.  

(Side note: I came up with the names back when I was in High School and I was living with my third or fourth family, feeling like I was the 'Kid with Cooties' nobody could stand.  I thought of myself as the Little Lucifer.  I even met a very well dressed guy, with long red hair, and a long red beard, dressed in a pin striped suit who looked like Lucifer may if he were real.  He thought I was a cool kid as I packed his groceries at Mrs. Gooches Health Foods.  That night I had a dream that his name was Lucas Fern (as in Lucifer) the nice guy before turning bad.  All these years later, Lucas Fern is a twin of Lucy Fern and neither of them are evil, and I never plan on making them such.)

Anyways.  I sat my four children down March 22 to figure out how to come up with a little spice for the National Park Series.  

We looked everywhere on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and maybe thirty other book sites, and could not find any fiction that would help generate any excitement in kids about our National Parks.  

I told my kids of a story, when I would camp as a kid in Yosemite and I would be afraid of the shadows of the super tall trees.  I always thought that it was a Giant from Jack in the Beanstalk or something, out to get me.  

That is when I remembered imagining a time that I was floating in the river, and I was about thirteen. I was a huge fan of Disney's John Henry, Paul Bunyan, Casey Jones, and Johnny Appleseed cartoon, and the music.  I remember thinking up a crazy idea that all of these guys could have found a perfect hiding place deep in the woods of Yosemite.  

I started thinking of a new title, and a new direction for the Jr Ranger book...  








Copyright © 2016 Derek Ryan Jensen.  All rights reserved.
No part of this work may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by an information storage and retrieval system - except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review to be printed in a magazine or newspaper - without permission in writing from the publisher
Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.
All rights reserved.