Featured Post

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Native American Culture can enrich our Nation

It is the fabric that ties us together. We see it everywhere we go and in everything we do.


The BIGGEST example of Native American Culture in our Nation is the vision of the world and our connection and feelings for Mother Nature.


Could you imagine life without seeing our planet as our Mother? Giving us life, all that we need and all that we have.


This series of books I have created for my children and hopefully for others to enjoy is all surrounding a basket, made by a basket maker who inspired me long ago as a child.


Her gringo given name was Lucy Parker Telles. Her true Native American name was Pamahas, meaning "meadows" and I use this name as the main Ranger in Paul Bunyan and Me in Yosemite.


I remember the sadness I felt as I learned of the eviction of Native Americans from Yosemite. I remember the tears in my Grandmothers eyes as she told me the story of Lucy Telles pulling fish from the river to sell to the tourists.


The same tourists who would purchase baskets she and other Natives would make for pennies on the dollar. Baskets that would later sell for hundreds and thousands of dollars.


If you look closely at this amazing culture who is also our host in this beautiful country, you will realize that this basket in my story has great symbolic meaning as Kokopelli comes out after John Henry earns her confidence.